Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012


"Exhilarated and buoyant by what I was reveling in, I pushed up the first three thousand feet almost without stopping to take a breath . . . The mountains fairly seized me, and 'ere I knew I was was up the Canyon . . . I was alone and during the whole excursion . . . , was in a kind of calm, incurable ecstasy.  I am hopelessly and forever a mountaineer."

The Contemplative John Muir, p. 197

Photo: Alpine Sunflowers blooming next to Lake of Many Winds (11,610 feet high),Wild  Basin, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; June 25, 2012.  I can really resonate with what Muir wrote here.  Yesterday, I needed to escape the thick forest fire smoke and 102 degree heat that was so oppressive here in town.  So I took off to the high country, and ended up doing a 16-mile round trip hike to Lake of Many Winds, a 3000-foot climb.  The last 1000 feet were quite steep, but the higher I climbed, the more energized I felt. Steep cliffs, cascading streams fed by large snowfields, vast wildflower meadows, and dramatic peaks all put me in a state of ecstatic joy that made the climb seem like no effort at all.  It was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment