Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

When we are stilled like a lake, our depths are revealed to us.


"Sometimes we are clarified & calmed healthily as we never were before in our lives . . . so that we become like a still lake of purest crystal and without an effort our depths are revealed to ourselves.  All the world goes by us & is reflected in our deeps.  Such clarity!  Obtained by such pure means!  By simple living - by honesty of purpose - we live & rejoice."

Henry David Thoreau

Photo: West Lost Lake near my backcountry campsite just after sunrise.  Flat Tops Wilderness, CO; June 10, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment