Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

I do not wish to be shut up in a corral.



"I do not wish to be shut up in a corral. All agency Indians I have seen are worthless. They are neither red warriors nor white farmers. They are neither wolf nor dog."

Chief Sitting Bull, Lakota

"I love this land and the buffalo and will not part with it …I have heard you intend to settle us on a reservation near the mountains. I don't want to settle. I love to roam over the prairies. There I feel free and happy, but when we settle down we grow pale and die."

Chief Satanta, Kiowa

Photo: Carving near Loveland, CO; November 9, 2012.  For years now, I've wished I could remove the fence around this carving.  Since I can't, I've never taken seriously any of my photos of the statue.  This past Friday, however, I suddenly realized that the fence has great symbolic value when viewed as a metaphor that stands for the tragic removal of American Indians from their ancestral homelands.


No comments:

Post a Comment