Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Read not the "Times." Read the Eternities.


"How rarely I meet with a person who can be free, even in thought!  We live according to rule.  Some people are bedridden; all are world-ridden.  I take my neighbor, an intellectual man, out into the woods and invite him to take a new and absolute view of things, to empty clean out his thoughts of all institutions of men and start again; but he can't do it, he sticks to his traditions and his crotchets.  He thinks that governments, colleges, newspapers, etc., are from everlasting to everlasting."

"The last two Tribune newspapers I have not looked at.  I have no time to read newspapers.  If you chance to live and move and have your being in that thin stratum in which the events which make the news transpire, - thinner than the paper on which it is printed, - then these things will fill the world for you; but if you soar above or dive below that plane, you cannot remember nor be reminded of them."

"Read not the  ' Times.'  Read the Eternities."

Henry David Thoreau

Photo: Aspen trees and the Vedauwoo Rocks glow in last light; Medicine Bow National Forest, WY; November 2, 2012.  Obviously, we in these complex times will continue to read the newpapers and think about what kind of government we have.  But perhaps we can take a tip from Thoreau and focus a bit more of our attention on larger realities.  Time spent in Nature is one way of helping us make this shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment