Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Our birthdays are actually a celebration of the birth of a unique perspective that the Earth has of herself.



On this, the day of my birth, I am acutely aware that this is not so much MY birthday.  Instead, it is a celebration of the birth of a unique perspective that THE EARTH has on herself.  For I - like all of us - am simply a  special way in which the Anima Mundi - the World Soul - perceives, enjoys and celebrates her own goodness and beauty.  Thus, my birthday is actually one of Her birthdays. As Bill Plotkin says, "The world cannot be fully ITSELF until you become fully YOURSELF.  Your soul is part of the soul of the world.  How we live our lives has a direct effect on the anima mundi.  The world needs us to recognize its sacredness and to discover and inhabit our sacred roles in its evolutionary unfolding."  I ask that I might give myself over to that celebratory role in the coming year.

Photo: Cliff Paintbrush and Mt. Rainier emerging from the fog; Spray Park, Mount Rainier National Park, WA; July 28, 2013

If you'd like to make a donation to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!







No comments:

Post a Comment