Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, November 18, 2013

We can seek refuge from predatory emotions by camouflaging ourselves with the Ground of Being.



Today I was meditating under a Ponderosa Pine at the top of a ridge near my home.  When I opened my eyes after twenty minutes, I saw what appeared to be a pine needle walking toward me.  When it stopped, I had difficulty distinguishing it from the surrounding needles.  This "walking-stick bug" - as it is often called - reminded me that when afflictive emotions arise - like fear, self-deprecation and anger - I can seek refuge by camouflaging myself, identifying with the underlying Ground of Being rather than give the predatory emotion anything to "see" and feed upon.

Photo: Walking-stick bug; Reservoir Ridge Natural Area, Larimer County, CO; November 18, 2013

If you'd like to make a donation to help support Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!






No comments:

Post a Comment