Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

A vast horizon nurtures the spiritual life . . .



"Naked space excites in the heart the subtle sense of relationship to the earth horizon which is the nurture of the spiritual life."

Mary Austin




Our campsite up in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains last weekend offered absolutely stunning views of the San Luis Valley below, the Great Sand Dunes, and the surrounding peaks. Mountains rimmed the horizon in every direction, and I could feel my spirit expand to become the vastness of the landscape. What would I do without spaciousness - both within and without - in my life?




Photos: The views from our campsite in Zapata Falls Campground, CO, June 6 and 7, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment