Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

For me, beauty possesses an immense and powerful subjectivity . . .


For me, beauty possesses an immense and powerful subjectivity. I love the paradox contained in the fact that beauty both nurtures us AND threatens to destroy the acquisitive ego. As a FOUR ("The Romantic") on the Enneagram Personality Typology, I'm especially sensitive to the powerful aspects of beauty. I believe that's why I've never liked the word "pretty." Beauty is NOT domestic or capable of being domesticated! I've spent my life in the quest for ways to come to terms with Beauty's power, to find a union with Beauty, one that melts or destroys the ego into something much Greater and more Vast. Here, it is as though Beauty forcefully takes me over, STEALS my vision, and makes my awestruck wonder the vehicle through which SHE becomes "turned on" to Her own amazing grandeur and glory!




Photos: (Top) Glacier Lilies and cascade; (Middle) Colorado Columbines and Bluebird Lake; (Bottom) Rosy Paintbrush and Bluebird Lake; All three photos were taken on the Bluebird Lake Trail, Wild Basin, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, July 13, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment