Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

People and institutions will inevitably disappoint us, but . . .


Lately I've been relearning an old lesson; namely, that people and institutions will inevitably disappoint us. I know too that others could say the same of me, even though I strive to minimize the suffering I cause as much as possible. The Gospel writers had it right when they reported of Jesus: "He entrusted himself fully to no person, for he knew what was in a person." Earlier this week a friend whom I respect immensely fed back to me my own words: "We only ever have 'God.' " And, I would add, the Goddess, Mother Earth, Sophia. When I truly embody this realization, then I'm able to maintain a lighter touch on people and as a result am empowered to enjoy their presence for what it truly is, in a relaxed, non-expectant manner.




Photos: (Top) Reflections and conifer pollen in Lake Solitude; (Middle) Pink Columbines with The Grand Teton in the background; (Bottom) Fog rolls in over The Grand Teton; Grand Teton National Park, WY, July 4-5, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment