Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, May 31, 2013

A paradise on earth!




I didn't pack my tripod on the 18-mile round trip dayhike into Coyote Gulch, and I really could have used it for shots like this in the low light of the canyon.  But I hope you can get a sense of some of the magic present in this hanging garden flourishing in a spring seeping from the ruddy sandstone cliffs. These beautiful Alcove Columbines are endemic to the canyons of the Colorado Plateau.  They are accompanied by lovely Maidenhair Fern and Helleborine Orchids.  Ten feet away from where I am standing, a two-inch deep stream flows through the canyon, its musical trickle echoing off the 1000-foot high alcove.  If this spot isn't a paradise on earth, I don't know what is!

Photo: Alcove Columbines in Coyote Gulch, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, UT; May 26, 2013






No comments:

Post a Comment