Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

How do YOU interpret this rock art panel?


What are YOUR thoughts on the meaning of this pictograph? All of the animals are desert bighorn sheep, except for the one in the middle at the bottom, which looks like a coyote or dog. The two figures on the lower right are hunters with spears. How about the two anthropomorph figures at the top? Are they some sort of guardian spirit of the hunt?

Photo: The Great Gallery, Horseshoe Canyon, Canyonlands National Park, UT; May 24, 2013. This panel was painted in iron hematite as early as 5,000 B.C.E.






No comments:

Post a Comment