Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, May 20, 2013

I have lost my way many times in this world, only to return to these rounded, shimmering hills to see myself recreated more beautiful than I could ever believe.



"If you look with the mind of the swirling earth . . . you become the land, beautiful . . . I have lost my way many times in this world, only to return to these rounded, shimmering hills and see myself recreated more beautiful than I could ever believe."

Joy Harjo,
Muskogee tribe
"Secrets from the Center of the World"

Photo: Vista in the Yellow Mounds section of Badlands National Park, SD; May 18, 2013.  Harjo was writing about the landscapes of the Four Corners region, but I find her words equally true of the Badlands country, which have similar coloring.




No comments:

Post a Comment