Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

How can we even think of asking to see divine glory when the whole Earth is already filled with it?


"Perhaps I do not understand the request of Moses, 'Show me Thy glory' (Exodus 33:18), but if he were here I would like to take him to one of our meadows, and after allowing him to drink the glories of flower, mountain, and sky, I would . . . inquire how he had the conscience to ask for MORE glory when such oceans and atmospheres were all about him. King David [in the Psalms] was a better observer: 'The whole earth is full of thy glory.' I think that if a revivalist, intoxicated with religion of too high a temperature for his weak nerves, were to awaken from his exhaustion and find himself in our meadows, he would, above such sheets of plant gold and beneath such a sky, fancy himself in heaven. Especially if a camp-meeting were going on at the time."

The Contemplative John Muir, pp. 57-58

Photo: Golden Banner, Arthur's Rock, and a vast sky; Lory State Park, CO; May 20, 2013. Muir is poking fun at the revivalist camp meetings he attended in the late 19th century midwestern frontier.





No comments:

Post a Comment