Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Alpenglow is the perfect embodiment of the love, humility and tricksterhood of the Ultimate Mystery!

On the way to my retreat in Utah, I had to stop for gas at one of the exits on I 70 just west of Denver. As I drove up the exit ramp to the crest of the hill, this is what I saw! I love alpenglow because it is so beautiful, but also because of its rich spiritual significance. To me, alpenglow embodies the love of the Ultimate Mystery, which shines on us - and on all beings - revealing the sacred beauty and goodness that is present at our core. However, the Origin of that ruddy light - like the sun that is the source of alpenglow - is forever mysteriously hidden beneath the Horizon of Being! With alpenglow, we could simply move a bit closer to the horizon and eventually find the sun. However, with the Great Mystery, we could travel endlessly toward the Horizon of Being, yet never encounter the essence of the One who is the source of that glow! For the Divine Presence is quite a Trickster, and is also incredibly humble - disappearing from the need to be affirmed, recognized and praised, yet constantly illuminating the beauty of all things. How amazing!

Photo: Alpenglow on the Front Range; Genesee exit, I 70, CO; November 29, 2013

If you'd like to make a donation to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!





No comments:

Post a Comment