Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, December 20, 2013

Extreme weather catapults us out of the doldrums of our everyday life in corporate-industrial society!


This shot was taken on the most challenging day - photographically speaking - that I've EVER had. As I hiked up this trail to Grinnell Glacier in Glacier National Park, it was absolutely POURING rain! Keeping my camera dry was almost impossible, and I had a heck of a time drying it out afterwards. I love the challenges posed by extreme weather, especially when I'm able to give the viewer some sense of the ENERGY contained in that weather. It is precisely that kind of intense energy that helps catapult us out of the doldrums of our everyday life in corporate-industrial society. On this particular hike, I also had to keep a constant lookout for grizzly bears. Park rangers call this section of trail a "grizzly picnic-ground" because it contains so many berries and roots!"

Photo: Spirea blooms and waterfalls; Glacier National Park, MT; August 2, 2013

If you'd like to make a donation to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment