Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

The experience of delightful surprise is one of the things that makes life on Earth so absolutely amazing!


I love going out into Nature and putting myself at Her disposal.  She always has something She wants to show me, even though it is often different than what I was expecting.  Yesterday I was driving through the Big Thompson Canyon, intent on going up to Rocky Mountain National Park, about 22 miles above.  However, when I reached the Narrows section of the canyon, I could hardly believe my eyes.  The Ponderosa Pine trees on the upper slopes were all heavily frosted, and there was a line below which the trees appeared unfrosted and green.  The sun began shining through the fog, illuminating the trees and making them seem quite dreamlike.  I began to cry because the beauty was so amazing and so unexpected.  That kind of experience of delightful surprise is one of the things that makes life on Earth so absolutely amazing!

Photo: Big Thompson Canyon, CO; December 20, 2013

If you'd like to make a donation to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment