Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

I aim for simplicity.


I generally aim for a sense of simplicity in my photos.  I feel this elicits in the viewer an experience of serenity, mindful appreciation and space.  

As you know, my dad's passing away last week has caused me to reflect on the things I appreciate about him.  One of these qualities is material simplicity.  His dad - my grandfather - was an Armenian immigrant who came to Ellis Island in the early years of the twentieth century to escape persecution by the Ottoman Turks.  His name was Benjamin Hatchadorian (which he subsequently shortened to Hatch), and his was the typical rags-to-riches story.  My grandfather built a thriving real estate business, and bought a large house with the money he earned.  

When he passed away in the sixties, my grandmother offered to give their house to my dad.  However, Dad decided against it because he didn't want people thinking he was wealthy.  Opting instead for a modest-sized house, he felt less pretentious than if he'd accepted the larger home as a gift. 

Dad practiced material simplicity in other ways as well.  For example, he wore shirts and socks until they were full of holes, which always irritated my mom.  Whenever we went out to eat, he encouraged everyone else to order whatever they wanted.  He, however, almost always ordered the cheapest thing on the menu.

I hope I have followed in Dad's footsteps in choosing to live a materially simply life.

Photo: Desert Paintbrush and a curvacious sweep of sandstone; Canyonlands National Park, UT; November 30, 2013  

If you'd like to make a donation to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!








No comments:

Post a Comment