Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Working with Afflictive Emotions


Several days ago I hiked up to one of my wintertime meditation spots on a ledge located on the south-facing slope of a large rock formation. While there, I noticed that dozens of red Wild Geranium leaves were still healthy and thriving despite the fact that we recently had a full week of nightly sub-zero temperatures. The presence of these leaves reminded me of the fact that many winter plants contain a natural antifreeze that converts needles of ice - which normally would puncture the cell walls and kill the plant - into round crystals which have little chance of harming the plant. This amazing adaptation led me to reflect in turn on the process of transforming afflictive emotions into virtues, a practice I learned from Buddhist spirituality. For example, unfulfilled longing can be converted into a realization that all desire - however distorted - is actually simply a participation in the Divine longing for us. Here, the longing - like the damaging ice crystal - is not taken away. Rather, it is transformed into something useful and even fulfilling! Such is the power of contemplative practice.

Photo: Wild Geranium leaves on the south-facing side of Arthur's Rock; Lory State Park, CO; December 19, 2013

If you'd like to make a donation to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment