Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

I learned my love of "otherness" from my dad.


As I hiked around various slot canyons during my desert retreat, I recalled with delight another of my father's traits that he passed on to me. From as early as I can remember, Dad had a boundless curiosity about people. Whenever we went out to eat, he'd ask the servers questions about their lives and interests, always listening with genuine concern. As he put it, "You can always learn something from every person you meet, no matter how different they are."

One particular instance of Dad's curiosity stands out in my mind. When I was in high school, we attended a Baptist church. During that era - in the early 70s - the youth pastor hired a Christian Rock group to play a concert in the fellowship hall at the church. Since that genre of music was new at the time, it was also quite controversial. Some church members believed all rock music was, as they put it, "of the Devil," and they resented the fact that such "unspiritual" music was being played at our church. In fact, the youth pastor was fired over the controversy, and the church spit over it. My dad, ever curious, secretly borrowed one of my Christian Rock albums, which I don't think I'd ever really played for him. Then, one Sunday evening when my mom and I were attending the 7 P.M. service, he played it, knowing that he had the whole house to himself. I think the group was called "Danny Lee and the Children of Truth." In any case, the album featured lots of electric guitar, drums and lively vocals - nothing like the classical music he raised us on. When Mom and I arrived home from church, Dad was playing the music REALLY loud - much louder than I ever played it, even when my parents weren't home. In fact, he decided he loved the music, and asked me if I had any other albums.

Difficulties arose during my college years when - following Dad's genuine curiosity about other ways of thinking - I became intensely interested in Eastern Religions. When I told him that I learned that attitude of curiosity from him, he actually got quite upset. "I never encouraged you to go THAT far in learning from others!" he argued. Nevertheless, this kind of love of otherness really stuck with me. I've continued ever since to find a variety of religious traditions endlessly fascinating. Ironically, perhaps - and much to his dismay - I can attribute that love of religious diversity to my dad.

Photo: A Gambel Oak leaf catches the light in a slot canyon; Canyonlands National Park, UT; December 1, 2013

If you'd like to make a donation to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!






No comments:

Post a Comment