Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, September 14, 2015

Fundamentalism is a potential danger for EVERY path!


Here's another passage I underlined during my Wyoming retreat last weekend:

"Nowadays, we thought that if we stopped believing in God we would be free from belief. But instead we believe in everything! Conspiracy theories, medical treatments, fundamentalism from anywhere except Christianity, power in stars, crystals, apparitions, and dogmatism seem to be everywhere."

Richard Rohr




Yes, I've become acutely aware that fundamentalism - the attitude of "my view (with the 'my' or 'I' usually dropped for convenience) is the correct, unfiltered view - is absolutely everywhere. Yet in our own culture, Christian (and perhaps Islamic) fundamentalism has become the "whipping-boy" or scapegoat, enabling all of the other more fashionable forms of fundamentalism to go unrecognized!




Photos: (Top) Mount Moran and Aspen trees; (Middle) Showy Goldeneye and The Cathedral Group; (Bottom) Reddish grasses, Sagebrush, and the Tetons; All four photos were taken in Grand Teton National Park, WY, September 4 and 7, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment