Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

What is Spiritual Direction, and Who is Stephen Hatch?



What is Spiritual Direction, and Who is Stephen Hatch?

"Spiritual Direction" is a term used in the classic contemplative traditions for a one-on-one session in which a mentor listens for the unique "direction" in which the Divine is already working in a seeker's life, and then gently encourages them on their own path. As such, it is not a form of therapy. "Spiritual Mentoring" is often used as a modern synonym for Spiritual Direction. "Spiritual Coaching" is sometimes employed as well, although some may feel that the term contains a focus on "image," which is the antithesis of Spiritual Direction.

When I'm doing spiritual direction, I serve as a mirror or sounding-board in which the seeker can more readily discover the ways in which The Creative Source is working in their life. Intentional practices such as meditation, silence, solitude, reading, reflection, journaling, and outdoor contemplation are encouraged. If the seeker is interested, I also use the Enneagram Personality Typology as a tool for discerning their basic stance toward life and chief motivations. Since I have a background in theology and philosophy, I enjoy helping seekers develop their own theology or philosophy of life. As such, my work somewhat resembles "Philosophical Counseling," although in an informal way. In recent years, I've developed a theological stance called "Wilderness Mysticism," which is both contemplative and Earth-based. The goal is union and communion with both the "God" and "Goddess" aspects of Ultimate Reality.

I consider myself "Interspiritual," drawing on contemplative insights from many different traditions. My background is in Christian Mysticism, but I draw heavily from Buddhism and Native American Spirituality. All of my work is permeated by the open-ended philosophy of Process Theology, especially as developed by A.N. Whitehead and John Cobb. Hinduism, Sufism, Taoism, Contemplative Judaism and the works of American Nature Writers have also influenced my worldview. I might also be considered a "None" - one who resonates with the current "Spiritual, Not Religious" movement. However, I believe firmly in living a disciplined life, and in developing a set of spiritual practices that help form the "container" or "lens" through which the Sacred can be more readily experienced.

I have a B.A. from Colorado State University in Philosophy and Religion, and an M.A. from Iliff School of Theology, specializing in Mysticism. In the 1980s, I trained with Thomas Keating and then worked for several years with Contemplative Outreach, the organization he established. Most recently, I have taught Contemplative Christianity at Naropa University in Boulder, Colorado. Since 1976, I have lived in Fort Collins, Colorado. I am married, and have two daughters, both in their thirties.

No comments:

Post a Comment