Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Solitary photography trips definitely have a monastic feel about them.


Solitary photography trips definitely have a monastic feel about them.  I don't have time to heat water for hot food at night, so supper - always eaten after sunset, of course - is simple and uncooked.  In the morning, I get up before sunrise - which in this case occurred at 5:20 A.M.  Here at the Badlands, the birds are incredibly loud, so arising at 4:45 wasn't such a chore, as they'd already beat me to it.  In any case, I often feel like the monks do when they get up before daylight to pray the VIgils Office.  On this particular morning, the sunrise was spectacular, with the badlands formations glowing deep orange while a cloud bank provided a wonderful contrasting backdrop.  Fifteen minutes after sunrise, the clouds finally took over and obscured the sun, which didn't appear again for several more hours.  I'm so happy that I was up early enough to catch the glow of this gloriously spiritual landscape! The silence and solitude of the sunrise was amazing, and the Vigils Office was amply chanted by a chorus of meadowlarks!

Photo: The Badlands at sunrise; Badlands National Park, SD; May 17, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment