Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Will the Era of the Family Farm Return?

“As the farmer who won the lottery said when asked what he was going to do with his winnings: 'Keep farming until it's all gone.' "

Anonymous

While driving across Wyoming and Nebraska on my way to the Badlands, I saw quite a few windmills, many of them still operating. It brought a sense of nostalgia about the earlier era of the family farm or ranch. I wonder how long corporate agribusiness will last? Is it here to stay? Will we one day return to the era of the family farm, or is that long gone? My wife grew up on a family farm in Nebraska, and four or five of her uncles were also farmers. I believe that upbringing contributed in large part to her ethic of hard work, ability to adapt readily to change, and pragmatic mentality.

Photo: Windmill and bluffs near Van Tassell, WY, about 2 miles from the Nebraska border; May 16, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment