Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Backlight is the perfect analogy for seeing the Divine in ourselves and others . . .


The other day as I was sitting under a tree in the mountains, admiring a whole group of backlit Aspens glowing in the sunlight, it suddenly HIT me what an amazing analogy the phenomenon of backlighting really is. Although they can be difficult to photograph, I find myself seeking out backlit trees, flowers and seedheads as subjects that are absolutely fascinating and intriguing. In each of these cases, the sun shining from behind utterly transforms ordinary reality into magic!




Speaking allegorically, if each of the trees or plants represents another person we are attempting to know (which would include our own self when viewed as "other"), then the sun shining from behind stands for the Divine Source. What this means is that if we insist on observing both others and ourselves as isolated units, what we encounter is often going to seem quite mundane, and sometimes even distasteful. For each of us when viewed as a lone ego-self definitely have our flaws! However, if we instead look toward the loving, self-emptying Source who stands behind all things as a sort of enlightening Backdrop, then the other person (including ourselves) will appear completely transformed. For we will THEN see them as utterly beautiful and light-filled!




May each of us remember this day to view both ourselves and one another against the beautifying Backdrop of Divine Light :)




Photos: Backlit Aspens and Alpine Dryad seedheads; Rawah Range and Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, September 11-21, 2015
 
- - - - - - - - -
I am available for one-on-one spiritual direction / mentoring via phone or Skype. You can contact me at canyonechoes@gmail.com if you are interested. The rate is $65 per hour-long session. You might also want to check out my Spiritual Direction with Stephen Hatch Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment