Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

A Baptism in the Wind-Waves!


"I said: 'Now I shall have another baptism. I will bathe in the high sky, among cool wind-waves from the snow'
. . . I was animated by a mountaineer's eagerness to get my head into the clear sky. But in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."
The Contemplative John Muir

I received a "baptism," all right! The wind-born ice crystals and sand grits permanently scratched my sunglasses AND glasses. It was quite amazing to be so totally immersed and washed clean of my worries and city-stresses in the intensity of the windstorm. I felt so exuberant and energized afterwards, I descended from the lake and then hiked up to ANOTHER lake to watch the sunset. On the way back to the trailhead - at dusk - the wind was so strong, it almost completely obscured the trail. Fortunately, I made it back OK :)

Photo: Windstorm on the Loch, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; January 28, 2014
Donations to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes are always appreciated.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment