Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Cherish these natural wonders for your children and your children's children.


In honor of Presidents' Day, the National Park Service allowed visitors to enter the parks free of charge on Monday. I went to Rocky Mountain National Park and snowshoed up to Fern Lake. On the way down, I couldn't help but think of President Theodore Roosevelt's words about land preservation:

“Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.”

Photo: Sunset at Fern Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; February 17, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment