Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, February 13, 2014

You have never thanked us!

"The Black Hills are where we came out of the Earth, where our ancestors are buried, where we go for sacred ceremony. They are the birthplace of the Lakota people. The White Man wants us to take a hundred million dollars for our Black Hills. But a hundred billion wouldn't be enough! Not even four hundred billion! That wouldn't even pay for the damages you've done. You can never pay us for what you've stolen and destroyed . . . The Black Hills aren't for sale. What if we offered you a hundred million dollars for the Vatican, for Jerusalem? . . . You White Men have taken everything and given us nothing, but worst of all, you have never thanked us! You've got to change your ways.

"I had a talk with a congressman about why we won't sell the Black Hills. He asked me, 'King, why do you Indians need all that land? You don't do anything with the land you've already got. Why do you need more? We'll give you some money instead of those hills.' I told him, right there in the halls of Congress, with people all around listening, I told him: 'You say I don't DO anything with my land? Well, what do you mean by doing? To the White Man, doing means changing things, destroying everything, chopping the forests and damming the rivers and polluting the skies. White Man wants us to be like him and build factories and motels and hamburger stands. We don't want those things! You say I don't DO anything with our land? What I do is I live there by God's Law. That's what I do there.' I told that congressman, 'I don't want to change or destroy it. It's my land. God gave me the title. You can't change that no matter how many lies you tell. No power on Earth can change that. Who do you think you are to tell me what to do on my own land? Only God tells me that!'

"I started getting pretty mad. That was my wicked streak coming out, you know. Finally, I said to him louder than I should have, 'You don't know what the hell you're talking about!' I shouldn't have said that, I know. He's a congressman, a bigwig. People were standing right there listening. There were some ladies among them. I told the ladies, 'Excuse my language, but I feel like cussin'!' Everybody laughed, except that congressman. I thought I'd offended them. Instead, they applauded me - right there in the halls of Congress."

Mathew King (Noble Red Man),
Lakota chief and elder


Photo: Shooting Stars blooming under Ponderosa Pines after a fire; Black Hills, SD; May 20, 2011

Donations to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes are always appreciated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment