Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

"When I get mad, I'm no good!"


"When I get mad, I'm no good.  I remember how I used to get mad thinking about how they murdered Noble Red Man and those other great leaders - Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, Big Foot and all the others.  I was a young man, hot-headed.  My anger got the best of me.  I couldn't think right.  I said, 'I'm going to get back at them every way I can.'  And I did.  You'd probably do the same thing.  I won't tell you what I did.  There's a lot of things I'm not telling.  They're mine.  We revenge ourselves in many ways.  But that only makes us wicked, too.  My wife finally came to me.  She said, 'Don't do that anymore.  You're going to get killed.  And besides, it's WRONG.'  So I stopped.  I tried peace instead.  Peace is harder, but it's a better way.  Peace is God's way . . . If you want to fly with the eagle, you can't be wicked."

Mathew King (Noble Red Man),
Lakota chief and elder


Photo: Stormclouds at sunset over the prairie; Badlands National Park, SD; May 20, 2011

Donations to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes are always appreciated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment