Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Embodying the Alpenglow


From 2008-2011, I taught a course at Naropa University in Contemplative Christianity. The students gave the class a high rating in large part, I believe, because I am very passionate both about the subject and about teaching. At the end of that time period, Naropa hired a full-time professor and then gave him my class to fill out his schedule - even though he has no interest in Contemplative Christianity and doesn't even consider it to be "Christian"! Then, two days before the Spring 2014 semester began, I was rehired to teach the course because of an ongoing dispute between the faculty member and the university. However, when that dispute is settled, I will once again be laid off. Ah, the life of an adjunct professor!

This past week, I attended a department meeting at which the faculty member was present, an occasion which signaled to me that the two parties are making progress in their negotiations. I found that a very difficult event to attend, because I must still somehow maintain the passion to finish out the course, knowing that I will again be axed once the class is over. As so often occurs in life, the things we cherish are actually quite impermanent and exist in a continual state of flux.

However, I find it consoling to remember my favorite natural phenomenon: the alpenglow. Although the beautiful ruddy color suffusing the mountain peaks at sunrise and sunset lasts only a few brief minutes, it continues to color the mood of all of my subsequent weeks spent in town. Indeed, whenever I want to picture the humble presence of Christ radiating out from my heart and melting all things together in its warm glow of love, I picture the alpenglow. Similarly, difficult though it is to maintain my passion for teaching the class, especially knowing that it will soon end, I find it helpful to envision myself as a sort of human embodiment of the alpenglow, a phenomenon which is noble and honorable even though it lasts for only a brief time. Besides, I know that alpenglow is a cyclic phenomenon, occurring as it does every time the horizon is cloudless. Similarly, I need to make a practice of trusting that some other meaningful university teaching opportunity will someday eventually arise!

Photo: Alpenglow on Medicine Bow Peak with the moon shining above; Snowy Range, WY; August 24, 2013

Please consider making a donation to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment