Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, October 22, 2012

I am a tree, with roots in evangelical Christianity and a trunk steeped in contemplative Christian thought and practice. My branches, however, reach into many different religious traditions.


When people first discover that I teach spirituality and follow a spiritual discipline, they often ask me: "What ARE you?"  What they mean is: "Which religion do you follow?"

The response I usually give is this:

"I am a tree, with roots in evangelical Christianity and a trunk steeped in contemplative (or mystical) Christian thought and practice.  My branches, however, reach into many different traditions: Buddhism, Native American spirituality, North American Nature writing, Sufism, Hindu tantra, Taoism, mystical Judaism, Enneagram spirituality, and Jungian psychology, to name a few.  I am all three of these - roots, trunk and branches - simultaneously, at every moment of my life."

In this era of heightened awareness concerning the interconnectedness of all things, how can a person be just one thing? However, if I were to speak of a single, unifying factor that runs through all of these facets of my spiritual journey, that one thing would be Nature, and a passion for the natural imagery that permeates all of the various traditions that are meaningful to me.  Without Nature, my spiritual journey would cease to exist.

Photo: Fremont Cottonwood growing on the shore of Horsetooth Reservoir, near Fort Collins, CO; October 21, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment