Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

In solitude, I dwell in the Ground of Being, where I am most one with others.


Paradoxically, I often feel less alone during times of wilderness solitude than when I'm dwelling at home, in town.  When I am in the physical presence of people - or communicating with them by phone or through social media - I am tempted at times to focus only on the superficial aspects of our personalities.  These include the areas where we clash, and the things upon which we disagree.  However, when I go into solitude, I begin to live on a deeper level.  There, I remember to see others from the perspective of the eternal Ground of Being - the truest identity of ALL of us.  In the wilderness, I am aware that I too emerge from that Ground, and I understand that it is THERE that I am truly one with all other beings.  When I return home, I can then make a practice of viewing others - and myself - from the perspective of that Ground, thereby allowing the superficial disagreements of everyday life to melt away in the face of a deeper and more eternal perspective.

Photo: Aspen leaves and rock outcrop; Gem Lake Trail, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; October 5, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment