Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Mystery and ambiguity make life endlessly fascinating.


Even though I lived as a conservative fundamentalist for the first twenty years of my life, I never made a good one.  I guess I love mystery and ambiguity too much.  Black and white distinctions have always bored me.  I'm endlessly fascinated instead by a God who is infinitely beyond all things, yet who dwells intimately within the core of the human self. A cosmos where every creature is the echo of a love-word of the Divine, a word that never had a chance to be spoken, yet whose echoes appear anyway.  A world in which every being mirrors every other being, where there exist an endless number of creatures appearing as mirror-images, but no originals.  A philosophy in which absolutely EVERY spiritual path and theological position - including our own - has both its positive and negative elements.  A life where seeming opposites - masculine and feminine, spiritual and worldly, transcendent and immanent, to give just a few examples - are continually shapeshifting into one another.  How amazing and mysterious this world is!  How could one ever be satisfied with a belief system containing answers that are black and white and unchanging? Such a world view feels like spiritual suicide to me!  I like to explore and discover new things.  Indeed, each of us is meant to be a sort of  Lewis-and-Clark of the spirit.  For mystery is our true nourishment.

Photo: Limber Pine snag and spires above Emerald Lake on a blustery day; Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; October 27, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment