Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

People in Western society have an inclination to think in terms of black-and-white, and either-or. They tend to lose sight of the gray areas of life.


"Overall I have found much that is impressive about Western society.  In particular, I admire its energy and creativity and hunger for knowledge.  On the other hand, a number of things about the Western way of life cause me concern.  People there have an inclination to think in terms of 'black-and-white,' and 'either-or,' which ignore the facts of interdependence and relativity.  Between two points of view they tend to lose sight of the gray areas.  Also, with thousands of brothers and sisters for neighbors, so many people appear to be able to show their true feelings only to their cats and dogs."

The Dalai Lama

Photo: Shadowy rocks appear through the mist; Gem Lake Trail, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; October 5, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment