Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

What is religion? That which is never spoken.


"Last evening one of our neighbors, who has just completed a costly house and front yard, the most showy in the village, illuminated it.  I read in great letters before the house entrance 'Glory to God in the highest.'  But it seemed to me that that was not a sentiment to be illuminated, but to keep dark about.  A simple and genuine sentiment of reverence would not emblazon these words as on a signboard in the streets.  They were exploding countless crackers beneath it, and gay company, passing in and out, made it a kind of housewarming.  I felt a kind of shame for it, and was inclined to pass quickly by, the ideas of indecent exposure and cant being suggested.  What is religion?  That which is never spoken."

Henry David  Thoreau

Photo: Mist and snow, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO 



No comments:

Post a Comment