Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Let us not allow our inner lives to be colonized by the promises of gurus and systems outside ourselves!


One of the things I realized while on retreat at the monastery this past weekend was the fact that ultimately, my own spiritual path is unlike that of anyone else. It contains elements that are completely unique, ones that not everyone else may understand or accept. This fact is, of course, true as well of every other person on the spiritual journey. While reading a book called "Four Elements" by Celtic writer John O'Donohue (which I picked up at the monastery bookstore), I was reminded that allowing ourselves to care too much about what other people - including spiritual mentors and teachers - think about us is every bit as serious as being an indigenous person whose land and culture have been colonized by outside forces. Accordingly, O'Donohue writes:

"Sometimes we are misled by the promises of gurus and systems outside ourselves. We believe that salvation can only come from outside. This is the great falsity of all colonization, be it territorial or spiritual. It robs the native land, or native soul, of the sense of its own indigenous treasures and resources. Against all attempts at programs and methods, the great art of holiness is to let oneself be. To be natural is to be holy. But to be natural is not easy in our technological and distanced world. We need to re-discover and re-awaken our sense of instinct and the ancient rhythm that still sleeps inside our souls."

Photo: This solitary mountain appeared through the mist as I was waiting yesterday on I 70 for the Eisenhower Tunnel to reopen after an accident; near Silverthorne, CO; April 28, 2014

1 comment: