Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

True Spirituality is Innately Spontaneous


The wind these past several days has been incredibly intense. During my retreat last weekend at St. Benedict's Monastery, there were periods of strong wind as well, serving as a backdrop for one of my most important realizations. While at the monastery, I attended one of the liturgies, as is my custom whenever I visit. While I enjoyed very much the Eucharist, and the sense that God is truly present within matter itself (represented by the bread and wine), I had even more difficulty than usual enduring the formality of the surrounding ceremony. In my tradition - that of the Invisible Church of the Contemplative Spiritual wing of the Radical Reformation - each moment of the day and each encounter with the people and landscapes we meet throughout the day is itself regarded as a "liturgy." I therefore have extreme difficulty with formal ritual ceremonies that were designed millennia ago and which are still carried on in basically the same manner as they always have. In my tradition, spontaneity is of utmost importance. It was therefore with quite a bit of interest that I read the following passage by John O'Donohue in a book that I bought at the monastery bookstore:

"One of the most exciting metaphors for the Holy Spirit in the New Testament is that the Holy Spirit is like the wind that blows where it will. This is a radical insight into a Judaic world that [during Jesus' time] was bowed down under the weight of rampant legalism. There were hundreds of rules which wearied the conduct of life. Without this perspective on the society in which Jesus worked, we will fail to appreciate how subversive his vision and presence actually were. It would be like coming to live in a society run by the ultra right who bring their cold metallic concern to bear on issues. They have the tendency to rigidify all natural things ; the attempt to turn that which is instinctive into that which is deliberate. One of the terrible deficiencies of most fundamentalisms is that the actuality and spontaneity become frozen. The flow and risk of life get totally managed and programed into categories . . . But 'The Spirit blows where it wills' is a kind of hymn to spontaneity. The Spontaneous is a vital spiritual force. There could be a new theology written from the perspective of spontaneity. The spontaneous has a secret kinship with the unknown; like the unknown it lacks predictability and is surprising . . . At this depth there can be no ideology or program."

From "The Four Elements: Reflections on Nature," in the chapter on 'Wind.'

I'm not claiming that the Catholic Mass is in any way fundamentalistic. However, I realized this past weekend that I am indeed most interested, in the words of Jean Pierre de Caussade, in "the sacrament of the present moment." And that moment is - and always will be - innately spontaneous.

Photo: Hallett Peak in a windstorm; Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; April 7, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment