Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Artwork of Pasqueflowers Encased in Ice and Snow

Yesterday, the highs were in the 60s and the pasqueflower blooms were wide open.  Today it is storming, and the flowers are encased in ice and snow.  Tomorrow everything is supposed to melt. I'm amazed at the persistence of these plants; if the ice freezes the currently-blooming flowers, the plant will simply send up new blooms from the roots, using the freshly-melted ice and snow to nourish the new growth.  How amazing!

Photo: Pasqueflower encased in ice and snow; Lory State Park, CO; April 13, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment