Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Gaze at Nature Sideways


"Man cannot afford to look at Nature directly, but only with the side of his eye.  He must look  through and beyond her . . . I should be the magnet in the midst of all this dust and iron filings . . . I must let my senses wander as my thoughts, my eyes see without looking.  Be not preoccupied with looking.  Go not to the object; let it come to you. What I need is not to look at all, but a true sauntering of the eye."

Henry David Thoreau

Photo: As I was drinking  morning coffee at my campsite on Lost Lake near Crested Butte (CO), this aspen "eye" caught my attention, peering at me as though from the side from behind the surrounding trunks.  October 1, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment