Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Our Own Unreciprocated Love Enlarges Us


"The condition which high friendship demands is ability to do without it . . . It has seemed to me lately more possible than I knew to carry a friendship greatly, on one side, without due correspondence [reciprocity] on the other.  Why should I encumber myself with regrets that the receiver is not capacious?  It never troubles the sun that some of its rays fall wide and vain into ungrateful space, and only a small part on the reflecting planet.  Let your greatness educate the crude and cold companion.  If he is unequal [in affection], he will presently pass away; but thou art enlarged by thy own shining."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Photo: A single aspen overlooks the mountain vista; Oh-Be-Joyful Pass Trail, near Crested Butte, CO, October 1, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment