Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

How can we sit with things when all their silence is on fire?


"Be still.  Listen to the stones . . . Be silent, they try to speak your name . . . , speaking by the Unknown that is in you and in themselves . . . The whole world is secretly on fire.  The stones burn, even the stones.  They burn me.  How can a person be still or listen to all things burning?  How can he dare to sit with them WHEN ALL THEIR SILENCE IS ON FIRE?"

Thomas Merton

Photo: The hoodoos of  the "Silent City" section of Bryce Canyon Amphitheater glow in backlit sunlight; Bryce Canyon National Park, UT; August 31, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment