Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I can know my brother's or sister's solitude through the reflection that it casts, through charity, upon the solitude of my own soul.


"Compassion and respect enable us to know the solitude of another by finding him in the intimacy of our own interior solitude.  It discovers his secrets in our own secrets . . . If I respect my brother's solitude, I will know his solitude by the reflection that it casts, through charity, upon the solitude of my own soul."

Thomas Merton
Trappist Monk

Photo: A 1600 year-old Bristlecone Pine casts a shadow on the rim of Cedar Breaks Amphitheater;  Cedar Breaks National Monument, UT; September 1, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment