Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Invest in the beauty of the sand-banks, not the city banks.



"It is indeed a golden autumn . . . A tradition of these days might be handed down to posterity.  They deserve a notice in history . . . Was there ever such an autumn?  And yet there was never such a panic and hard times in the commercial world. The merchants and banks are suspending and failing all the country over, but not the sand-banks, solid and warm, and streaked with blackberry vines.  You may 'run' upon them as much as you please - even as the crickets do, and find their account in it.  They are the stockholders in these banks, and I hear them creaking their content . . . In these banks, too, and such as these, are my funds deposited, a fund of health and enjoyment.  Their (the crickets) prosperity and happiness and, I trust, mine do not depend on whether the New York banks suspend or no.  We do not rely on such a slender security as the thin paper of the Suffolk Bank.  To put your trust in such a bank is to be swallowed up and undergo suffocation. Invest, I say, in these country 'banks.'  Let your capital be simplicity and contentment . . I have no compassion for, nor sympathy with, this miserable state of things.  Banks built of granite, after some Grecian or Roman style, . . . are not so permanent, and cannot give me so good security for capital invested in them, as the heads of weathered hardhack in the meadow.  I do not suspect the solvency of these.  I know who is their president and cashier."

Henry David Thoreau,
October 14, 1857

Photo: Wild Geranium leaf, golden aspen trees, and the Maroon Bell Peaks, Maroon Bells - Snowmass Wilderness, CO; September 23, 2012.  The "sandbanks" here are the shores of drought-stricken Maroon Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment