Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Nature is wont to hide herself.


"Nature is very much a now-you-see-it, now-you-don't affair . . . They say of nature that it conceals with a grand non-chalance, and they say of vision that it is a deliberate gift, the revelation of a dancer who for my eyes only flings away her seven veils.  For nature does reveal as well as conceal: now-you-don't-see-it, now-you-do . . . 'Nature,' said Heraclitus, 'is wont to hide herself.' . . . Nature flashes the old mighty glance - the come-hither look - drops the handkerchief, turns tail, and is gone.  The nature I know is old touch-and-go."

Annie Dillard

Photo:  A block of quartzite reveals just a corner of itself in the early morning sunlight; Snowy Range, WY; August 19, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment