Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The autumn leaves are the petals of a flower corolla, which extends the length of the valley.


"The increasing scarlet and yellow tints around the meadows and river remind me of the opening of a vast flower bud.  They are the petals of its corolla, which are of the width of the valley.  It is the flower of autumn, whose expanding bud just begins to blush."

Henry David Thoreau

Photo: Aspens on Bierstadt Moraine, with Long's Peak on the horizon; Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; September 15, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment