Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

"Civilization" has not added one whit to my love for truth, honesty, and generosity . . .



"Regarding the 'civilization' that has been thrust upon me since the days of the reservation, it has not added one whit to my sense of justice; to my reverence for the rights of life; to my love for truth, honesty, and generosity; nor to my faith in Wakan Tanka - God of the Lakotas . . .




 "For after all the great religions have been preached and expounded, or have been revealed by brilliant scholars, or have been written in books and embellished in fine language with finer covers, man - all man - is still confronted with the Great Mystery."

Luther Standing Bear
Oglala Lakota






Photos: (Top) Western Wallflower and Vedauwoo Rocks, Vedauwoo National Recreation Area, Medicine Bow National Forest, WY, May 4, 2015; (Second) Pasqueflowers and cascade, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, April 27, 2015; (Third) Cows and colorful rock formations, near Red Mountain Open Space, Larimer County, CO, April 25, 2015; (Bottom) Luther Standing Bear



No comments:

Post a Comment