Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Indians never try to explain the unknown.



"Indians never try to explain the unknown. That's why you hear us talk about the Great Mystery, which we treat with great respect. We always thought the white man was foolish because he claims to know everything about the unknown while knowing nothing about this life; in contrast, we Indians know everything about this life and nothing about what comes after."

Russell Means
Oglala Lakota


This weekend, I took a trip to the Badlands and to Bear Lodge (Devil's Tower), both of which are located in historic Lakota lands. While in South Dakota, I picked up a book by Russell Means. It's entitled "If You've Forgotten the Names of the Clouds, You've Lost Your Way: An Introduction to American Indian Thought and Philosophy." I'll be quoting from this book over the next few days :)

Photo: Chokecherry and Bear Lodge, Devil's Tower National Monument, WY, May 16, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment