Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, May 4, 2015

The Creator DOES want us to focus on the creation, not on the Creator!



Please imagine with me for a moment that you are attending a talented artist's gallery exhibition of landscape paintings. Although you are absolutely amazed and enthralled at the beauty and creativity of the paintings and the landscapes depicted in them, you then approach the artist and begin a conversation. "These paintings you made are so amazing," you say, "but I know you'd want me to take my attention off THEM and place my focus instead on YOU! I praise you and bless you for your creativity, and I know that nothing you PAINT could ever measure up to YOU!" 

The artist would then be tempted to reply (inwardly, if not outwardly): "Why are you being so ridiculous? I want you to focus on the beauty I'm seeing in NATURE, not on me! In fact, I only feel inspiration when I, as the artist, am LOST in awe and wonder in a sunset, in a wildflower meadow, in the beauty of a human face. I really appreciate your compliments - and graciously accept them - but I'm really not interested in having the attention focused on ME. Please focus on the paintings instead, and work to take care of the incredible landscapes they depict!"




Applying this vignette to our human relationship with the Creator, don't you think that God would reply similarly? And yet we have so much Western religion warning us to "worship the Creator, NOT the creation"! To the contrary, I picture the Creator - like the artist - being tempted to respond (inwardly, if not outwardly): "Are you CRAZY?" I'm not even thinking of MYSELF when I create these natural works of art! I'd be much happier if you focused - and cared for - THEM, not ME! It's an insult to my craft - and to me - to focus more attention on ME than on the landscapes that are my muse and inspiration!"

Indeed, THIS is the kind of Creator I'm in love with :)




Photos: Prince's Plume on "Wall Street," sunset near The Windows, and sunrise reflected in pools; Arches National Park, UT, April 18-20, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment