Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Communion with the Divine in silence is the deepest, most healing reality.



Yesterday, as I hiked in the mist, I felt embraced by the Silence in a most profound way. It seemed as though the only thing that had any relevance - or reality - was the experiential Trinity composed on the one hand of the spacious, transcendent backdrop of God, the intimate Goddess present at the root of Nature's creatures on the other, and myself as a sort of "transparent eyeball" (Emerson) - looking in both directions - serving as the link in the middle. In that context, challenging "people" issues always fade into irrelevance, even though I know I eventually have to return - usually at the end of the day - to the world of society where those issues arise.




I had a very difficult semester. As usual, the students were wonderful - although there were several whose hearts, it seems, I was unable to reach. For me, that is a very rare occurrence, and it somewhat surprised me. But there were other more administrative issues, including the fact that I am being replaced by someone with several academic degrees I don't have. Indeed, working as an adjunct professor most definitely bears witness to the Buddhist teaching on impermanence! In the coming weeks, I hope to allow the healing waters of Silence to well up increasingly from my innermost being and wash those hurts away. Yesterday, I believe, was a good start :)




Photos: Bluebells and Pasqueflowers at Vedauwoo National Recreation Area, WY; Wild Plum bush and ruddy cliffs near Livermore, CO, May 4, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment