Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Stories are the communication device of the land and the people.



"I will tell you something about stories . . . They aren't just entertainment. Don't be fooled. They are all we have, you see, all we have to fight off illness and death . . . You don't have anything if you don't have stories."

Leslie Marmon Silko
Laguna Pueblo




"The stories are the communication device of the land and the people. Through the stories, the ceremony, the gap between isolate human being and lonely landscape is closed."

Paula Gunn Allen
Laguna Pueblo





Photos: Chaco Culture National Historical Park, NM, May 23, 2015. The Puebloans who lived at Chaco (c. 850-1150) are the ancestors of Laguna and other modern Puebloans.

No comments:

Post a Comment