Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

I am a Tree


One of the most challenging aspects of my vocation as a spiritual teacher is the fact that people so often want to affix a single label to my perspective, one that is tied to one of the great world religions. However, I find that such labels never work for me; they somehow seem so limiting. After all, was Jesus a Christian, or was the Buddha a Buddhist? No, they weren't. In my search for a categorical "box," I used to say that I am a "contemplative"; that is, a person who seeks union with Ultimate Reality through a lifestyle of silence, solitude, simplicity, service, and time spent in the natural world. That was OK in the 80s and 90s, when the word "contemplative" was more popular. But now, very few people even know what that word means. In my search for a category that makes sense, I've also experimented with using a regional label. For example, I sometimes say that I practice a combination of Cascadian, Rocky Mountain and Southwest spirituality. But that sort of regional approach, however true, may take some time to catch on. Therefore, in the meantime - and I've mentioned this before on another post - HERE is what I tell people. I am a tree, with roots in evangelical Christianity and Quakerism. My trunk is made up of Contemplative or Mystical Christianity. My branches and leaves, then, are composed of choice insights from Buddhism, Native American spirituality, Hinduism, Taoism, Sufism, Contemplative Judaism, Transpersonal Psychology, the spirituality of American Nature Writers, and Enneagram Work, for starters. However, I have to admit that I identify more with the FOREST in which that tree grows than with the tree itself. In other words, the thing that attracts me most in all of these different faiths and traditions is the imagery they employ which comes from the natural world. Thus, "Wilderness Spirituality" comes perhaps the closest to what I practice. But ultimately, no label works. When the Buddha was asked what he was, he replied simply:  "Awake." Now THAT is definitely something I aspire to!

Photo: Fremont Cottonwoods growing at the edge of Horsetooth Reservoir; Larimer County, CO; October 22, 2013

If you'd like to give a donation to help fund Nature Photo-Quotes, please go here.  Thanks!






No comments:

Post a Comment